Wednesday, April 15, 2009

These times, they are a changin'


Okay. I’m going to blog about it finally. I wanted to be really ready to tell the story but I decided I wasn’t sure I would recognize what “ready” looked like. So in true characteristic Michelle fashion I’m just going to leap in with both feet.

In just a little over two months I am going to become a grandmother. Seeing those words in black and white haven’t ceased to amaze and awe me yet. Me. A grandmother! It’s just shocking, isn’t it? I feel no older and scarcely any wiser than I did 35 years ago – how is it possible I am old enough to be a grandmother? Truth be told I’m nearly the last one of my peers to make the transition so obviously I’m plenty old enough but only in physical years.

It’s been a stretching, leaning-on-Jesus time because the situation is not ideal. Not the way it’s “supposed to” happen. My precious, beautiful, but unmarried baby girl is going to be a mother very soon. She will be a wonderful mother. She’s as ready as any single 21 year old could be. She’s got a support system in place that is walking beside her in love and acceptance. I’m sure there is judgment out there too, but she’s been spared from it for the most part and I’m grateful for that blessing. It’s hard for me, the mom, to not be a little sad for my baby because I know how hard it will be. Sophie’s daddy didn’t want the responsibility of his actions and so Katie will be starting this parenthood journey alone. I know the things and the times she will forfeit because she’s a mom now. I also know the joys indescribable that are in store for her as she marvels at the wondrous miracle of birth, as she holds that tiny life in her hands, as she experiences the blessed gift of hearing a tiny voice say “mommy” for the first time.

Once again I’m being reminded of God’s indescribable love for me. I mess up. I get my priorities out of order. I want things when I want them whether they are good for me or the timing is right or not. I make judgments when I don’t know the whole story. I shun when I should embrace. He still keeps blessing me. In the storms, in the days of calm and peace, when I deserve it and when I don’t. Blessings.

One of those is my very first granddaughter, Sophie Joy Scott, expected to arrive the latter part of June.

Wow.

2 comments:

Hoots Musings said...

Michelle,
No matter what, Sophie is a gift from God, and Katie is blessed to have you and Thomas in her life.

You will love this baby in a way that I cannot describe, you will just have to wait and see!

Congratulations!!!!!

PS....the word verification for me is "aging" I kid you not!

Mel said...

You're right, there really is no such thing as "ready"--ready to blog about certain subjects, ready for to be a grandmom, ready to be a mother... It won't be easy for your girl, I am certain. But it really never is. And I am happy for you both, and happy that a supportive, loving family is waiting to welcome this little one with open arms. There is a plan, even when it's not our plan, even when it doesn't look like the storybook. God is knitting this little darlin' in the womb just like He has all the rest of us, just as He will all the babes yet to come. I'll be hoping for updates, and praying for smooth transition for everyone. : )