Thursday, January 25, 2007

I'm my mother!

Lately I've caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror as I am passing and I think "my mom's here!" and then I realize, OMG that's me. It happened. AAAAAUUUUUGGGGHHHHHHH. It's not that looking like my mom is a bad thing, it isn't at all....except that I'm still the girl and she's the adult!! What am I doing looking like her when I'm still a kid????????? This whole adult thing didn't work out the way I thought it was supposed to. I'm older right now than my mom was when I married and when I presented her with her first grandchild. It's true. But I thought I was going to cross this line where the tape fell and YEAH I was an adult. I would feel different. I would be wise, I would be solemn, I would exercise good judgement and be mature. No body told me I was going to be the same person at this age that I was at 18 only more wrinkled. No body told me I could sit on the phone with my best friend from high school and laugh as hysterically now as I ever did then. I didn't move from listening to Grand Funk Railroad to Perry Como. I didn't curl my hair or wear 'house dresses'. I'm still me. Michelle Denise Finnell Collard in all her insecurities, weaknesses, strengths, foibles...just a wrinkled version.

Frankly I would have preferred permanent press.

No comments: