Thursday, September 20, 2007

Not bad

One last story from the past........

It was a while before the kids met Thomas (well, obviously not too long a 'while' since we married six months after that first disastrous date). Katie met him first. She was four. The boys had gone to spend the weekend with their dad so it was just she and I that Sunday morning. At the time Thomas and I were going to different churches so we decided to meet for lunch before he had to drive back to Dallas. In that little community if you went out to eat after church that meant you went to Pizza Hut. So Pizza Hut it was. Katie sat in the booth beside me, Thomas across the table from us. Thomas did everything but stand on his head trying to get Katie to talk with him but she just wasn't cooperating. She mostly hid behind me and snatched glances at him when she thought he wasn't looking.

On the way back to our house she was very quiet. I was anxious to know what was going through her head so was trying to figure out the best way to coax it out of her. We were about one block from our house when she finally spoke up.

She never turned to look at me - just kept staring straight ahead. But this is what I heard....


"Not bad, Mom. Not bad at all."

No comments: