Thursday, September 06, 2007

We Interrupt This Series For........


...an important announcement.

I am grieving the loss of a job. Reality is that I have successfully worked myself out of it and am one blubbering soggy mess. This morning I kissed my child goodbye and watched him drive off for adventure in the guise of INDEPENDENCE. I have been looking forward to this day but I planned for independent living to take place in the far off reaches of, say, Plano. Then when I got used to that maybe even North Dallas! This is not to be for #2 son. He’s pulled up stakes, loaded his Ford Explorer full to bursting with everything we could cram in there and is moving to Winter Park, Colorado. He does not have a job (“Don’t worry, Mom! There is ALWAYS a job if you aren’t afraid to work.”), he does not have a home (“Don’t worry, Mom! I’ll find a place to live.”) and he doesn’t really know anyone, with the exception of the one friend he talked into making this leap with him. Oh, did I mention his Ford Explorer is FIFTEEN years old and he is leaving with MAYBE a six hundred dollars in his pocket???

It seems like just yesterday this confident, self assured, hardworking young man was my equally as confident & self assured curly haired baby boy. He’s never met a stranger, can charm the socks off you with one genuine grin and has been an absolute joy. Oh to be sure, he is hard-headed, stubborn as a mule and hearing impaired if he’s not hearing what he wants to hear. He is an adrenaline junkie and scares the living daylights out of me (Have I mentioned he skateboarded off the house? Drove a car when he was two? Refuses to wear a helmet?) and is not nearly as serious about life as I would wish. But he hugs and kisses his momma every single day of the world when he leaves the house and when he comes back in – how am I going to manage without that?

Tyler, age 6 months:

No matter how many clothes he had on when he went down for a nap:

With his doll (he was only two!!)"Billie Sue":

Easter Sunday at 3-1/2:

Living his dream:

Go with God my precious gift – may all your dreams (and none of my fears) come true….

1 comment:

Katherine@Raising Five said...

That made ME cry buckets of tears! I love the "don't worry, Mom's!" I can hear my son saying the same thing (he sounds like he's cut from the same cloth as yours!). What a feeling that must be. I know you will miss him but you have to be just a WEE bit proud, too. Such seems to be the life of a mom - full of mixed emotions!