Saturday, January 19, 2008

Faithlessness

One of the things that has always just appalled me about the Israelites was how quickly they forgot God. If I had just watched a swarm of grasshoppers come through and destroy everything in their path, water turn to blood, and then turn around to see an entire army be swallowed up by water that just moments before had not been there wouldn't I have been more faithful??? Wouldn't I have had complete faith that God was going to take care of me out there in the desert when I had just witnessed such incredible displays of his power? You wouldn't catch me grumbling that slavery was better than freedom and I should never have left Egypt. You wouldn't see me griping that I was sick and tired of manna that was just falling from the heavens to feed me.

That's what I always say. How could the Israelites been so forgetful? How could they be so ungrateful? They had seen God's power and might with their own eyes and still they fumbled the ball. They wanted freedom all right, but they wanted freedom on their own terms.

About 72 seconds after I shake my head at their appalling lack of faith there's that little voice inside my head that says "Excuse me, Michelle -- can I point out that you_____" fill in the blank with whatever faithless behavior I have recently displayed. How can I be so forgetful? God has never failed to show me that He's in control. He has a plan. He knows what I need. Reflection forces me to acknowledge just how many times I am exactly like the faithless Israelites. God doesn't do what I'm asking. He doesn't show up in the way I have predetermined is best. He allows struggles and disappointments that just don't seem at all necessary. Invariably He puts someone, something in my path that calls for accountability and I am humbled again. Please, Lord, help me remove this sense of entitlement that rears its ugly head. That thing that causes me to think that I've been faithful and so you should work this out the way I believe best. Oh I can so, so, so understand the frightened father's confession to Jesus, "Lord I believe! Help my unbelief."

No comments: