Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Heroes

It's been a while since I have blogged about my heroes. I have a new one that I want to introduce you to. I have been blessed to know a few people who, though years and years younger than I am, are giants of faith. These young people just seemed to get it, you know? Their spiritual maturity surpasses that of many adults and you just walk away humbled for having been with them.

When we moved to Spearman to work with the church there was a young girl in the youth group that was exactly the kind of person I am talking about. She had a depth and a spark in her that just would not be dimmed. She was as cute as could be, and equally as sweet. She was an absolute delight. I still have a letter that she wrote to me when my husband left me and I was just falling apart at the seams. I asked her "What good could possibly come from this?" and she wrote me the most wonderful letter. She listed several things that could come from the mess if I trusted God to lead me through. Good grief I don't think the girl could have been more than twenty years old! She lost her mom during that time after a very sudden and short illness. Here she is, in college, her mom has just died and she is writing me giving me comfort about my life. Oh Jan, oh Jan -- what a gift the Lord gave me when He let our paths cross.

As things go, years passed and I lost touch. I loosely kept track of her because she was the same age as one of my good friend's daughter. I knew that she had married. This past year I got the news that her husband had died. I was heart broken for her -- got her address and then promptly lost it. Out of the clear blue sky several weeks ago she emailed me after having gotten my email address from my friend. She gave me the link to her blog so I could read what had happened in her life. I couldn't tear myself away - her writing is fantastic (she does it for a living and you can tell) but the awesome part was the story of her faith during the valley of the shadow of death through which she was forced to walk. Now she finds herself a widow and experiences all the feelings that you would expect but continually she lets God lead and gives Him the glory for the little things. Go check her out at Just Jan. I just know you are going to love her to death and be as humbled as I am.

I love you sweet friend!!!

No comments: