Monday, November 07, 2011

The Birthday Project

I recently came across a blog that described the writer's 38th birthday. She decided she wanted to do 38 random acts of kindness to celebrate the day and enlisted her family in helping do that. She wrote about it and it has exploded into a Facebook page and groups all around the world "going and doing likewise."

I really want to remember this and follow suit. I'll have to enlist all my family to pitch in because I'd otherwise have to take a week to fit in a RAOK for every year of my birth! I'm wondering how to incorporate it into more purposeful living and celebrating every day? I wonder if we could do something like this at Christmas. I just dread the holiday anymore because it's such a financial drain and it ends up being a bunch more crap to find something to do with. Why not take some of that money and put it where it would actually bless people? What kinds of lessons would Sophie learn from watching us do it? Would God be glorified more in that act than in paying too much for another electronic gadget to take the place of last year's electronic gadget?

Striving to be intentional at thanks-living is so against the nature of man. Or woman.

No comments: