Thursday, November 03, 2011

Thanksgiving

Living a life of gratitude is such a challenge. At least in my corner of a very materialistic world, it is way too easy to dwell on what I don't have or how what I do have compares to what others have. Funny thing is I never compare myself or what I have to those who have less. Only those who have much more or much nicer or much newer. Then I feel sad. Discontent. Lacking. Cheated.

You would think my eyes would have been opened (and they were, though apparently not permanently) when I spent time in a far poorer country. Walking the streets of China, riding the train through the countryside I saw poverty. I saw real lack. Even the ones with much have less than I have. I should feel shame and guilt to think for one moment what I have isn't enough. Why it is such a temptation then to feel like life isn't fair because I don't have as nice a house, new a car, great a vacation...? It's one of the devil's most effective snares.

I want to be different. I want to be a blessing. I want to be less burdened by stuff. Free to give of what I have - physically and emotionally - and not worry about what's left. Will I have enough? I serve a God that is Enough. Yesterday. Today. Tomorrow. He is Enough. May I have the grace and the strength and the will to remember that and live in this season of Thanksgiving like I believe it.

No comments: