Thursday, August 16, 2007

Silver

Where do you hear God most? For me, the kitchen sink. Doesn't quite look like holy ground does it? WE INTERRUPT THIS DISCUSSION TO ISSUE THIS DISCLAIMER. The picture above was taken in the midst of remodeling. No, my backsplash is not lovely sheetrock. Yes, I know the sink is not clean. And now, back to our story. I have had a couple of experiences when I was overwhelmed with God's presence - when I knew He was wanting me to know something about him and me and our relationship. Invariably those times were times I was polishing silver. That's just not an every day occurrence around here. Honesty forces me to admit there is very little in the way of housework that is an every day occurrence. However, I have been forced to polish silver when those pieces were needed for a wedding shower or reception of some kind. Once it was because we "inherited" DH's mother's silver tea set. In his childhood home that silver service was a thing of beauty and it held an honored place in the dining room. After his mom died and his dad remarried that silver tea service was moved to the garage, unloved and unwanted. When it was brought to our home I didn't celebrate it's arrival to be sure. All I saw was a whole bunch of work and an item that didn't fit into our life style. God impressed upon my heart that I was just like that silver. I had been created for beauty and honor and sin had blackened my life. The blood of his Son restores me to the beauty that was intended for me. As I applied the polish I began to see my reflection. That's my desire - that looking at my life you'll see the reflection of the one who polishes me.

No comments: