Sunday, July 20, 2008

For it's one, two, three strikes you're out.....

I was getting dressed to go to a luncheon baby shower last week. I wasn't wearing anything special - just a tank top from Old Navy and jeans. It wasn't just an ordinary tank top - I'll admit it was cuter than average - it has sort of a draw string gathering thing happening in the front and it has spaghetti type straps. ANYWAY I was trying to decide which jeans to wear when Katie came in and said "Cute shirt!" I was pleased that she liked it - that doesn't happen often as you might suspect. Then she said "I want to borrow it sometime." WOW! Now that is the highest praise. So I'm smiling to myself a bit (us moms are such suckers for praise) when I noticed the look. I don't know how to describe it -- all girls are masters at it. Usually the look means "I cannot believe you are seriously going to wear that!" I figured it was the jeans and so I said "these are my only choices!" and she said "No....I was just thinking....you look really young."

WHOA. I'll be living a month or two on the strength of that. I've long ago given up on the notion that I'll ever knock it out of the park again - but I'm happy to think I got a base hit! I know the smile on my face was huge as I said "THANKS!" She didn't smile back though - just kept looking at me.

To be honest, I was still so flattered at the notion that my 20 year old daughter just told me (a) she liked my shirt enough to want to wear it herself and (b) that I looked young that I really wasn't focusing on the stare so much.

Then I heard it.

"Are you going through a mid-life crisis?"

No comments: