Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Great joy

Yesterday I received a confirmation that was, without a doubt, one of the most powerful experiences of my life. As a parent you pray for your kids, you teach, you cajole, you scold, okay, you scream (just once....or maybe twice...) because you've lost complete control, you lead and then you watch them go. And come back. But that's another story. The one thing you watch most closely for is evidence that they've got it -- they aren't regurgitating your faith but they have it for themselves. They've fought for it, wrestled with it and welcomed it with open arms into their own lives. I've wondered sometimes if I was ever going to see it. Last night in a conversation with Matt he let me get a rare look into his heart of hearts. I was bursting with joy to see so plainly that he has got it! It's not my faith. It's not his grandparent's faith. He traveled dark roads and survived ugly storms to get where he is -- and he is there right in the center of God's palm. I am living 3 John 1:4, peeps!

"I have no greater joy than this, to hear of my children walking in the truth."

Amen and amen - to God be the glory!!!


1 comment:

preacherman said...

Wonderful post.
Keep up the great work.
I am looking forward to reading more posts in the future.
I hope and pray all is going well.