Thursday, October 30, 2008

Changes on the horizon

Well, tomorrow is supposed to be D-Day. As in DISMISSED or Delivered. Which one will it be? I honestly don't know - I think I'm probably one of those going but I just don't know. Tomorrow will be here soon enough. What does the future hold?

That's got me thinking about the past. So just for kicks let's look back a bit.

October 1968 - good grief I hardly even want to admit this. Forty years is so long!!!!!! I had turned 14 years old a few months earlier and I was a freshman at LaJunta High. I was still very scared of all those upperclassmen. There were about 800 people in my high school which was plenty enough to be intimidating to us lowly underclassmen. Finding my classes, opening my locker, trying to look halfway cool - those were the things my days were made of.

October 1978 - Much has changed in 10 years. I'm married now and officially two months into being a Texan. We moved to Texline, TX in August of that year. The little church in that town of 375 people was about 120 members -- the biggest religious body in town. Some of the greatest people on God's earth lived there - and some still do. We spent 8 years in that little community and I still think of them as some of the best and happiest days of my life. So many precious memories.

October 1988 - These 10 years have brought me three kids. Matt is 8, Tyler is 2 and Katie is about 4 months old. We are living in Spearman, TX where these people live. I haven't actually met them yet though. My days are busy, busy with two babies and a young man in grade school on top of all my "church" activities. I was still the church secretary and working hard to train teachers.

October 1998 - Wow has my life changed! Ten years seems like such a short time to have lived through the death of my marriage, meeting and marrying my new husband and moving to the DFW area. Oh me, what a change that was! This is the beginning of Matt's senior year in high school. I didn't know it until years later but he was coming apart. He had a sweet girlfriend, a job & a car -- not much else matters in a boy's life does it? It is coming up on the one year anniversary of my dad's death and I am having a terribly difficult time dealing.

October 2008 - Here we are. I've now been working at EDS for 8 years. We've been through 3 CEO's and now we have been acquired by HP. So far what I've seen hasn't been positive and I am mostly very sad. Matt is finishing his student teaching and preparing to move to China. Tyler is living in Winter Park, CO. Katie is here at home with some big changes in the future. More about that another day.

So much living and changing in what seems like such a short, short time. Never in a million years would I have pictured myself at this place forty years ago as I was walking the halls of LJHS. It was tough to see at the time in many instances, but looking back I see God's hand tracing through it all. What a life!

I trust God's hand is ready to guide me tomorrow when I learn my fate. Knowing that makes it seem as though it's not that much of a deal.

No comments: