Sunday, October 19, 2008

unforgiven?

We're going through a leadership selection process at church & for the first time in the history of this congregation a man's name has been put forward who has been divorced. I don't know the circumstances of that -- I know he's been married to his present wife for 12 years or more; I know he has a heart for God and for sharing the transforming power of His love in his own life. He demonstrates the fruits of the spirit, he's obviously well respected because he had to meet a certain percentage threshold of nominations in order to be considered.

It has everyone digging into the Word and that is a good thing. It has everyone talking and that is a good thing when done properly. I'm quite sure a lot of improper talking is being done too but so far this week we have had three two hour sessions where people could come and discuss their concerns with the present elders. I'm not sure how I feel about everything. Seems the older I get the less black and white things are and the more questions I have. If only this issue would have come up 25 years ago! I would have known the RIGHT answer and would have been righteously indignant should anyone dare see things differently.

But here's what I know. Divorce is ugly and painful. God hates it. It is not a part of His plan for His children because He doesn't want them to be hurt so badly. But he doesn't want me to gossip or overeat or be a drunk or a liar either. I'm wondering why we pick the one thing to hold up over all else as a disqualifier. Because here's what it feels like. I will wear the big scarlet "D" around my neck for the rest of my life. I will always be a second class citizen in the family of God.

I don't think that's in His plan either.

1 comment:

Hoots Musings said...

I agree with most of what you said. I have no idea who this man is, and the main thing is we cannot judge the motives of ones heart...we can be fruit inspectors, and from what you state, he has a lot of fruit on his branches.


Love ya!