Friday, November 05, 2010

Day 2

"Use the alphabet as a fun and quick format for maknig a list of things for which you feel grateful."

Okay - this is going to be very stream-of-conscious writing so some are probably going to be ridiculous but dashing off the first thing that comes to mind:


I’ve been reading so many toddler books the first thing that came to mind was “A is for Apple” and truthfully – that works for me. I love apples – Fuji, Gala, Braeburn, Honey Crisp, Delicious, Jonathan – you just can’t beat a tart, crisp apple. I’m telling the honest truth when I say I would take an apple over a brownie any day of the year.

The most peaceful feeling in the world is sitting with a newborn baby in your arms. They are snuggled in against you, making their precious baby sounds. I’m so grateful for babies.

Church. I love my church. Many the time we have talked about moving closer to family and as much as part of me longs for that, realizing we would be leaving our church family stops us cold every time. We fit – my church and I.

Daddy. I was incredibly blessed in the Daddy department. There wasn’t a stronger, smarter, braver man in the world all my life. It hurts still that it has been 13 years since I kissed him and heard his “Hi, Hon.”

Elizabeth. I made best friends with a girl in Kindergarten named Liz. After kindergarten we went to different schools until junior high when we were reunited. From that point on we were inseparable – and I do mean inseparable. We share so many memories – memories that distance has done nothing to fade.

Fall. I suppose it’s my favorite season, although I do love spring. I love the colors of fall. I love the crispness of the air, football, sweaters and corduroy pants.

Grapes. If anything rates higher than apples in my book it’s grapes. I definitely would choose grapes over any form of dessert.

Home. There’s no place like it. I don’t like to travel and given my druthers I’d stay at home all the time. Good thing I’m not, because I could easily be a hermit.

Ice. Anyone close to me will tell you I’m addicted to ice. ESPECIALLY “Sonic” ice. My glass must always be filled to the brim with ice before you fill it with tea.

Jesus. Don’t know where I’d be without Him.

Kids. I’ve got 3 of them – as different as night and day and scattered to the winds now but how I love those guys and a gal. They are responsible for the gray hair, the stretch marks, the anxiety and more joy than I could describe.

Laughter I love to laugh. Pretty much anything can have a funny side if you look for it and why not? I’m sure I cross over into the “inappropriate laughter” because often the more serious the occasion the funnier some aspect of it can be.

Marriage. When it’s good it’s great. It’s hard work – it can be heaven and hell – in the same day! But I’m glad I’ve got me a good hubby.

Nail guns. How I love my nail gun! I know I’m not sounding like a normal girl, what with preferring apples over chocolate and loving tools but it’s the truth.

My otter t-shirt. My aunt Shirley sent me a t-shirt that says “I’m a member of the Otter Club” and on the back it says “I otter do this….I otter do that”. She was Daddy’s little sister and she is gone too. She was far different than the rest of her family and somewhat “not a part” but I loved her. The t-shirt is a silly thing really, but it just signifies to me the relationship I had with her. When she was going through chemo I sent her a sweatshirt that I had painted with a cowboy Santa on it that said Deck The Halls Y'all and she was crazy about it.

Praise team – I am so thankful to be a part of such a great group of people who love the Lord and use their gift to lead our church family in worship.

Quiet – we have a 17 month old in the house so this is something we rarely have but is nice every once in a while. Of course I would trade all the quiet in the world to hear “Mimi! Hi, baby!!”

Reading – I am so grateful I love to read and am able to have such incredibly awesome access to so many books. I need to get reacquainted with the library now in these days of unemployment but that’s good. I’m so glad I LIKE, no LOVE to read.

Sophie Joy – how could I possibly be more grateful that I am for that radiant bunch of sunshine? I cannot imagine our life without her in it now. Precious baby.

Thomas. Brave man. Servant heart.

Underwear from Victoria’s Secret! It makes me feel special. Ridiculous but nevertheless.

Vanessa. Sister. Best friend. Ally. Survivor. Love her.

Writing. I am thankful that I can use words to express myself via the written page. I wish I could do it verbally as well but I am so thankful for the ability to write.

Xtra special parents. Never once in my life did I doubt they loved me. We didn’t grow up with a whole bunch of material things but very very secure in their love for me. Mom taught me how to be a homemaker – the artist in me is a gift from her. She taught me to sew – she encouraged me to love ironing (I now know that was because she didn’t—but hey, whatever works!)

Yo Gabba Gabba. There are some times when you just have to have a break from the never ending motion of a 17 month old. She loves Yo Gabba Gabba, and therefore I am VERY grateful for that creative genius.

The promise in Zephaniah 3:17 --

The LORD your God is with you,
the Mighty Warrior who saves.
He will take great delight in you;
in his love he will no longer rebuke you,
but will rejoice over you with singing.”


No comments: