Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Day Three about three days late

Write about something you feel grateful for in your life today.

Really. Should being grateful be so hard? Of course it shouldn't - I know that answer but when I sit at my desk and stare at a sentence and think to myself "My mind is completely blank." I realize I have a very large problem and it is me. Oh God, forgive me of my selfishness and the sins of looking past all the blessings as though they were nothing.

Today I am grateful for the gift of friendship. When I consider the number of dear close friends I have made over my lifetime I am completely humbled. God has so richly blessed me. In high school and college it was Liz - my conjoined twin. Seriously, we were NEVER apart. Ever. When we were in Bible college it was Becky. How much fun we had!! She and Jim were our singing buddies and we ended up traveling all over the country singing for things -- oh the precious memories. Sadly, neither one of us made it for the long haul with our spouses but I think we both say a rousing amen to "second time around is much better." Next came Jick & Rose in Flagler, CO. We spent so much time with them we practically lived together. Hours and hours of laughter and tears. Burying Jick at 28 years old was one of the hardest things we ever did. Our first experience with the enemy that is cancer. Next move brought us to Jerry and Rowena. Still some of the dearest friends I have ever had and am ever so much better a person for having met and loved them. Jerry taught me to laugh at myself and I needed that. I've posted about them before here so I won't say more. The next move brought many friends but dearest of all are Frank & Lucy. And of course, I've posted about them here. The next move brought me to the big city and so many experiences, changes, and friends. My current crop of friends have stood beside me in some of the darkest hours -- they've sat in the courtroom with me when my son was facing jail. They were at my door step within minutes of hearing that the ambulance was at my house and they were working on Daddy and it wasn't looking good. They were on their knees in tearful prayers as we prayed again and again for my son who was so lost. They helped me to find the joy in learning that I was to be a grandmother when no one was really ready. They have patiently listened to the many stories I now proudly tell about that grandbaby. I have friends at work who make work a safe place to be me. I have friends who will laugh with me, cry with me, share a drink with me, encourage me, chastise me, pray for me and play with me.

I say it again, Oh Lord, forgive me for not counting my blessings. Open my eyes to my narrow, tunnel-visioned self and create in me a thankful, grateful heart for the abundance of your gifts.

No comments: