Monday, June 11, 2007

Just musing

You know how you can read a verse in the Bible a million times (well, more or less) and it never gets your attention and then all of a sudden, one day POW! Right between the eyes - it's as though you would swear you had never seen it before and in fact has to be a "latter day" revelation. That's how it was a few days ago when I was reading Acts 17. It's nothing spectacular -- a very simple idea, and one that I have believed all along. But there is something about seeing it in black and white in GOD's Word that gave the implications so much more power.

I have often wondered (and felt very convicted) as to why I was born with white skin in middle class America -- where by the very nature of those things (that I had absolutely no say in) I have privileges and opportunities that most in the world never have. I can do things, have things, be things because I have white skin, money in the bank and live in Dallas TX. I don't minimize my efforts - certainly I have tried to be responsible (well, okay, fairly responsible) with what I've been given. I had the opportunities though, to have those things in the first place. To my knowledge no one has ever hurriedly locked their car doors because they saw me crossing the street. Well, okay, Katie probably would but for entirely different reasons (just kidding honey). I'm so humbled at the understanding I have that I DID NOTHING to deserve this and I DID NOTHING to earn it.

And here comes the verse I read:
Acts 17:26 "From one man he made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live. (Emphasis mine)

Like I said, nothing big, nothing new. I've always tried to acknowledge that I believe God is in control of my life, yada, yada, yada. But somehow that verse made me realize in an even deeper, greater way that I'm where God put me -- and since we know He doesn't do things w/o reason I have a humongo responsiblity. Which reminds me of another verse: Luke 12:48: "From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked."

I need to live with more purpose this is telling me.

No comments: