Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Another sigh...........

Happy Birthday, Tyler! I can't believe the boy is 21. It some ways it's actually surprising that he made it to 21. In every single sense of the word this child is all boy and kept me on my knees. But before I digress let me tell you how very much he is an answer to prayer.

I had endometriosis all during my 20's and 30's. I didn't actually know that until my 30's but it made getting pregnant very difficult. After Matt was born we were told we were lucky that we had him and to be thankful. Of course we were. But I wanted a houseful of Matthew's and that diagnosis was met with tears. For six years we waited for me to get pregnant and the stress and strain of all those tests and charts and drugs were taking their toll on my emotional health. Finally in 1986 we decided we'd adopt. We started the process in March 1986. All of the consultations and references were completed by Memorial Day, 1986. We had always heard the waiting list was long and we figured it would be at least a year before we would meet the baby God had for us. We received the official acceptance the first of July. On the 25th of August we got a call from the social worker. "You have a baby boy!” We made that 100 mile trip to Amarillo in short order. It was very important to Matt that he be included in the process and the social worker had drawn up a paper that was just for him - all about the responsibilities he had as an older brother and that he promised he would look out for Tyler and be a good role model for the rest of his life. I just bawled watching Matthew nod that he understood what he was signing (He was 6, remember) and watching him solemnly sign his name. Then we signed our names and she said "Just a minute" and left the room. In just a matter of minutes the door opened again and Sharon, the foster mom, carried Tyler in and handed him to me. Oh my gosh I was bawling and laughing and talking -- he was so beautiful. He was two months old when we were introduced and it was immediately apparent that this was the boy we'd been waiting for and that God had planned for all along. This is us just minutes after I first saw my son. Look at the smile on Matt's face.

Tyler was on the go from the very minute he figured out how to motor around. Nothing was safe in his reach. When he was 18 months old he found a screwdriver in the drawer and nearly dismantled his high chair before I discovered him. Another time his dad stepped out of the pickup to talk with someone and Tyler decided he waited long enough. He put the car in drive and took off down the street. He was 2. Tyler is very much an extrovert -- he is energized by people contact. The biggest punishment I could ever give him was to put him in his room alone. He is an adrenaline junkie and I know I don't even want to know half of what he has done. The things I know about (like skateboarding off a house) are scary enough. He is hard working, doesn't like to be idle, and is up for just about anything. Most of all he is an answer to prayer. He is so very much my son that I forget I didn't give birth to him. I couldn't possibly love him more. Happy Birthday, my son. Please, please, please be safe. Contrary to what you seem to believe, you are NOT invincible.

This is my very favorite picture of the little ham.

No comments: