Sunday, March 02, 2008

Political ads

Political advertising has gotten out of hand. Can I get a witness? Every day I come home from work to find my message light blinking like crazy. I've got 8 messages! Every last stinking one is a plea to vote for somebody - from County Commissioner to our country's next President. They are all pretty much alike -- each touts the virtues of a particular candidate and they always end the same way "I'm (insert candidate's name) and I approve this message."

One day last week I got back to my desk after lunch to discover I had a voice mail waiting. I figured it was going to be yet another URGENT URGENT need for an attorney immediately because the entire future of the company hangs on their particular deal. But no. That was not the message waiting for me this time.

"Hello, Mom! What are we having for dinner tonight? I hope it's something good. And I really hope you don't want me to cook it. This is Katie Scott and I approve this message."

You've gotta love it.

No comments: