Thursday, March 06, 2008

Winter in Dallas

I grew up in Colorado and have experienced life with all four seasons. You pretty much knew when winter came it was going to be winter for a few months. It was certainly possible for there to be an unseasonably warm day here and there - but it was winter -- no doubt.

Here? Not so much. We have something that more closely resembles hot summer and cooler summer....with a surprise thrown in there every now and then. I kid. Just a little bit though. It can get cold here and frankly this cold is colder than anything I remember in Colorado. Just as humid hot is much hotter than dry hot, wet humid cold is far colder than dry cold. The crazy thing about our weather is it really is likely to change day to day - like the old joke "You don't like the weather? Just wait a bit - it'll change."

Until we went to see Tyler in December I did not believe I missed the cold and the snow one bit. Oh how beautiful it was though! I'm mostly glad I don't have to experience it much but there is a beauty in winter that is unique to itself. Monday night this week it snowed here. What I would call the first really true snow storm we've had in the 15 years I have lived here. We have gotten a little covering of snow every once in a while...but it's very brief and seldom amounts to much. But this was snow, folks! Real honest to goodness big huge wet flakes that were coming down fast and beautiful. I actually drove around at 11:00 at night just to experience it. It was so quiet and so bright white. That was Monday night. Tuesday afternoon it was something like 67. See what I mean? Needless to say the snow was gone by the time I got home from work. It's supposed to snow again tonight. It's been trying to for several hours and there's a little on the ground but mostly it's been raining all day. Things will freeze I'm sure and that means driving to work will be a real joy for everyone.

I didn't think to take pictures Monday night when it was snowing but I did take some when I got up the next morning. You can tell it had already melted significantly but it was still pretty.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stumbled into your blog through blogger and just want to say hello. I am secretly afraid of my cat, but she knows and flaunts it in my face.

I would like to invite you to leave a comment on my blog. At my blog I ask people to tell me about their day in seven words or less. Just leave me a comment with your seven words, you can do it anonymously. If you'd rather not, then have a nice day.

http://todayinseven.blogspot.com