Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Be careful what you ask for

Last night Tyler and I visited on the phone. This kid is worrying me to death. He is such an adrenaline junkie. He's thinking he would like to find a logging job for the summer. LOGGING!! I tried in my very best mom voice to let him know I didn't care if he was almost twenty-two he was most certainly NOT going to do that!! It's the most dangerous job in the world, don't you know?? Well, of course he knows - that's what is so appealing - to know that any false move, any bad decision could mean your death -- that's (and I quote) "awesome".

Clearly he's had some serious brain damage somewhere along the way that we know nothing about. He's going to be the death of ME is what's going to happen. I told him that he needed to find a nice girl and think about settling down. Oh, he's waaaaay too young to be thinking about that! He's got a lot of living left to do!! I told him that I was already married when I was his age. His response? "You are serious! Are you SERIOUS?" As if I had just told him I was scheduled on the next space flight.

I told him that at the rate all three of my children were going, I would be dead before I had any grandkids. He said "Don't worry, mom." Since we've had this discussion, oh maybe one or two times before (I'm persistent) I knew what was going to follow -- "You are young, mom and I'm going to settle down before long, yada, yada, yada."

This time - not so much. Here is what I heard just seconds after my brain had already began formulating the reply to what I knew he was going to say.

"I'll go out this very evening, mom, and make sure you have a grandbaby in about nine months."

Oh yes he did say that. He doesn't have to worry about me bringing that subject up again for a while.

Don't make me fly up there, son.

1 comment:

a woman who is said...

Thanks for the nice comments Michelle. So nice to meet you. I really enjoyed your blog today. I have one of those sons! When mine was 22 he wanted to go fishing on a boat in Alaska for a summer job. (2nd highest job related mortality rate) Praise God, it didn't work out for him! Now he spends his summers doing guide work for extreme outdoor wilderness experiences for people. Sea kayaking, rock climbing, mountaineering... He is now 27 and still not married, and enjoying life as it comes...oh dear :] It is a different generation. It was nice to know (sorry) that other mothers go through what I go through :]