Tuesday, November 18, 2008

From the grace files...

It's been some time since I shared one for the grace files so today ends the dry spell. Not that I couldn't have submitted an entry before now but I like to wait until I have a really divine story --not just your ordinary klutz moment.

Today it was a little chilly when I went to work so I took a sweater coat that I bought last year. I got it after Christmas -- a Vera Wang marked down from $100 to $7!!!!! Oh I love good bargains. Anyway, ....I took my sweater to work. When I was ready to leave I grabbed my purse and headed out the door. I always take the escalator down to the first floor because of my little....ahem....claustrophobia issues. I had just stepped onto the escalator when I remembered my sweater. Since there were only 3 steps behind me it occurred to me that it would be a lot faster to go up the down escalator than it would be to ride it to the bottom and then walk around the atrium to get to the up escalator. I've seen people run up the down escalator before - doesn't look too hard. I have a 32 oz. glass of ice and water (we have that good Sonic kind of ice at work! ) and my purse. I make the first step and the second and I realize I'm going nowhere fast. And it's confusing to look down at the stairs when they are going the opposite direction you are used to them going. I misjudged the distance and got my toe caught and down I fell. Right to my knees. There I was praying on the escalator as it rode down. Of course I was facing the wrong direction to be going down so anyone watching would definitely have recognized there was something a bit odd. When I fell to my knees the water and ice went flying out of my glass. How it spilled out over the rail and to the second floor I'm not sure I can explain but spill it sure enough did. I imagine those people on the second floor who couldn't yet see me coming down the wrong way were puzzled by the sudden hailstorm indoors. My mind was set on getting up that staircase though and I jumped up took a flying leap and landed on the landing at the top. My knees were scraped up and hurting like fire. A quick glance around let me know that no one was around close and hope springs eternal -- perhaps no one witnessed the spectacle.

A word to the wise. Going up the down escalator is a whole lot harder than it looks and once you pass ....oh, 15, you're probably too old to try it. And that's all I have to say about that.

1 comment:

Beachy Mimi said...

I don't know when I have laughed so hard. Tears are streaming down my face. This would SO happen to me. I actually fell all the way down an escalator once. With witnesses. Glad you are okay.