Friday, November 14, 2008

The Look

Life is hectic and crazy at times. At the very craziest times it's easy to be overwhelmed and lose the ability to see what's right in front of you. Many times I've been frantically looking for my keys and losing my cool only to discover the keys right there in my purse. The same purse I've torn through twice already looking. The same purse that I would have SWORN did not hold my keys. I was reading Mark 10 the other day and a verse struck me that hadn't before. It has always been there - but like my keys I missed seeing it.

The rich young man has come to Jesus with an important question. What must I do to get it? I've always zeroed in on the fact that the young man loved what he had more than that which he didn't -- even though what Jesus offered was far, far more than the balance in his bank account. Certainly I've exchanged that most precious of gifts for things of lesser value too often. But that's not the verse that stood out to me this time.

Get this picture. A young man who has everything money can buy. He's probably used to attention and respect - maybe even deference. Maybe he's already figured out that riches are lonely companions or maybe he's just not used to there being something he doesn't have, can't buy. Whatever the motivation he comes to Jesus and asks the question. Jesus knows he's going to ask. Jesus knows what he's going to choose.

Here's the key verse -- Mark 10:21 -- "Jesus looked at him and loved him." I was convicted when I read that. What about the people I work with -- those that don't know Jesus. When I look at them do they see that I love them? What do they see? What do I see?

I need to be seeing what Jesus sees. And they need to be seeing that I love them.

1 comment:

Beachy Mimi said...

I love this! Thanks.