Wednesday, November 19, 2008

What's it all about?

I've spent the last eight years at a job I have loved. Oh, I didn't go into it thinking I would love it. I went into it terrified as could be. I had driven by the compound that was the company that this man built. Imposing, impressive...IMPOSSIBLE that I, middle aged stay at home wife & mom could belong there! There was a part of me that was delighted at the prospect - but for the most part I really, really didn't want to go to work. Unfortunately, we had given up pretty much everything extra that we could and we all had an affinity for eating so mamma finding a job was pretty much a have-to thing.

I've got so many wonderful friends and two of those wonderful friends got me a job as the receptionist in the legal department. Oh my goodness! I could do it!! I was good at it! I loved it! Eighteen months later I got a promotion and began supporting a super guy who managed the contract professionals in commercial contracting. More responsiblity, new things to learn, new mountains to climb. Oh my goodness! I could do it! I was good at it! I loved it! Eighteen months later I got another promotion. I became an executive assistant to the manager of the entire commercial contracting department. There were 57 attorneys and paralegals in Texas, Virginia, North Carolina, Michigan, Mexico City, Buenos Aires and Sao Paulo. BIG change in responsiblities---tall stretch for this stay at home wife & mom. It took me a good six months to feel like I even had my head above water, let alone that I was swimming. But then, oh my goodness! I could do it! I was good at it! I loved it! I was nervous about working for a woman -- unfortunately, we get a bad rap for darn good reasons. But she was fantastic. We didn't have a single solitary thing in common but the job. Night & day. But we grew to genuinely like, respect & enjoy each other. God wasn't a part of her life at all, He is my life. She knew that and respected it and I showed her that being a Christian didn't mean you had to be weird.

Then the big buy out or what I prefer to call a hostile takeover happened. She was assured she had a job so I felt safe. Then that promise was reneged on and she is gone. And now I don’t love work. But one of the by-products of the uncertainty is that I’ve spent a lot more time thinking about my “legacy” if you will – what will people know if I’m the next one getting the pink slip? Did I make my corner of the empire a better place because I was there? For the most part I work in a place that denies the deity of Jesus. Wonderful people – great friends but blind. Tonight in praise team practice the guy who led the closing prayer asked the Lord to help us show him to "people who don't know what Jesus looks like". I've been wondering every since then if the people I work with know what Jesus looks like now. So again, my favorite question from the Bible is ringing in my head "Who knows but what I was brought to this place for such a time as this?"

1 comment:

Hoots Musings said...

Great post and timely for me. My boss is mentally ill...seriously. Not my direct report or the one above but the big man. I love the people I work with so much! I cannot work in an environment where every move you make is scrutinized...that is like being married to the wrong person!!! Thanks for showing me, it is about my legacy and my actions more than my words. Love ya!