Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Praise!

Today was the day I've been dreading -- but I am happy to report I am still gainfully employed. Praise God. It was a long, terrible day as so many were let go. Lots of tears, lots of hugging, lots of quiet whispers. I'm exhausted, sad, and grateful.

Turns out I was on the list to be let go but the manager I had previously supported before I took my present position had made it a point to write a letter telling them that he didn't think people knew fully how much I did. And that made a difference! They took me off the list -- but sadly that means they put someone else on. It's hard to feel happy and guilty at the same time.

On my way to work this morning I talked to God about giving me the courage to be his hands and his heart. I knew people would be getting tragic and unexpected news and I felt sure there would be opportunities for ministry. I also expected that I would be called upon to comfort the person who was laying me off -- as horrible as it is to be let go I think it would be a hundred times worse to be the person giving the news. Turns out I did get the opportunity to comfort her -- just not for the reason I thought it would be. She had a very long, hard day and it was about more than she could stand. I hope I was a comfort to someone - I hope I didn't miss any of the opportunities that were put in my path.

Now maybe I can do something about that ten pounds of emotional overeating I'm wearing.

Sigh.

No comments: