Monday, April 21, 2008

Writing under the influence

I have a pinched nerve in my neck/shoulder area. It's not so much painful as it is extremely annoying. It's making the underside of my left arm and the palm and fingers of my left hand numb. Not quite completely numb -- it's that tingly-ness (if that's not a word it should be) of a limb being "asleep" and then regaining feeling. So last night I took a muscle relaxant. LAST NIGHT. That would be the evening of the previous day. Nearly twenty four hours ago. I am STILL so sleepy, foggy, drugged feeling. I don't like it a bit. I don't know why anyone would want to abuse these kinds of drugs.

I have great intentions about a whole lot of things but I'm not very good about consistently doing many without some sort of outside influence or aid. Several years ago I came across a website that referred to a prayer calendar. I looked at it and immediately saw it was worth printing. I have one copy of it sitting here in my cubicle where I see it everytime I look ever-so-slightly to the left. It is titled "Praying Daily for Your Children". It has 31 days of prayer suggestions listed to guide us into prayer for each of our children with specific goals in mind. For instance today the subject is prayerfulness. The lead in for your own personal prayer is "Grant, Lord, that my children's lives may be marked by prayerfulness, that they may learn to "pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests." It lists Ephesians 6:18 as the reference for this request. Each day has a topic and a verse. Sometimes you may only pray that simple sentence or other times you have the time and ability to pray at greater length - but at the end of the month you have asked God to bless your child with things that will strenghten their characters and bless the lives of all who meet them.

And that, dear internets, is what we want for them more than anything else. Right?

No comments: