Friday, May 11, 2007

Fifty things, part 1

Here's one of those blog things that goes around and for want of anything more interesting to blog about I'm going to begin the "Fifty Things About Me" list. I don’t know how long it will take me to think up 50 semi-interesting or unknown things about myself. I could well lose interest long before I get through. But all the drafts sitting in my postings are way too deep and serious for me to even consider at the moment. So...mindless and worthless information follows:

1.) I was born in Garden City, KS but have no memories of that because we moved to Colorado Springs, CO somewhere between my 2nd and 3rd birthdays.

2.) Our first dog was a boxer mix named Spike. I loved that dog. He was extremely protective of us kids. My favorite memory is him attacking my cousin's boyfriend because Spike thought he was going to hurt one of us. He just grabbed the guy's pant legs in his mouth and spun him around. I don't remember being a bit frightened - only incredibly impressed.

3.) I learned how to embroidery because my grandma did and I thought it looked like fun. So she got me my own hoop and pillow case with a pattern stamped on it. I'm sure it was a mess. But I had fun. The memory that stands out is the time I was seriously concentrating on my stitches and when I was done I realized I had stitched my dress to the pillowcase. I don't know how old I was exactly but no more than five. FIVE! Oh I would REALLY like to see that pillowcase now.

4.) One time at my grandparent’s house I was walking up a dirt road with my cousins - I was the oldest by several years. I was maybe 7 or 8. We came across a snake in the road that scared us absolutely to death. And what did I do? Ran like the wind!!! Leaving my little preschool cousins to fend for themselves. Poor Mike. I can remember his screaming to this day.

5.) My first boyfriend was a kid named Jerry who I loved madly....in the first grade. One time he even kissed me in the classroom and the kids told the teacher. My mom would never let me go over to his house and play because he was a boy and boys and girls didn't play together apparently. Probably a much bigger reason that I couldn't have understood at the time. Like he was a hoodlum. I know that because he left that school and was gone the next year. In 3rd grade he reappeared and we were in class together again. One day he didn't want to do whatever it was that we were told to do and he threw his books on the floor. To this day my knees get shaky when I visualize Mrs. Kelly stomping down that row and yanking him up by the hair on his head knocking over the desk and chair and pulling him up to the front and whipping him with that paddle that hung on the blackboard up front. And then, Jerry never came back to that school. I later learned that he'd circled all the way through the other 3rd grade teachers. They thought Mrs. Kelly could straighten him out. Boy, if that day didn't do it I imagine Jerry is in the pen somewhere. You can say what you want about teachers being able to paddle -- but I guarantee you that Mrs. Kelly did not have one single discipline problem the rest of the entire year.

6.) I like to iron. I’ve always liked it. My mom used to pay me to iron starting from the time I was 8 or 9. I’d still enjoy it if I had the time. But time is a commodity I don’t have anymore so my neighborhood cleaners get to enjoy ironing our clothes now.

7.) I think my Dad was the second greatest man to ever live. Only Jesus Christ surpasses him.

8.) I really, really, really miss Daddy.

9.) My first (and second, for that matter) cars were manual transmissions. SO I had to learn to drive a stick shift before I could drag main. One time I stopped at a stop sign and then couldn’t get the darn thing in first gear. I turned the key to off, got out of the car and walked home. With my car sitting right in the middle of the street. I was so mad at Daddy for insisting I learn to drive a stick shift. He had more patience than Job, I’m telling you. A couple of years later my little sis did the exact same thing.

10.) My best friend in kindergarten went to a different school after that but we reunited again in junior high. From that point on we were absolutely inseparable. People made jokes about never seeing one w/o the other. My favorite? “Michelle, you look different! Have you done something to your hair? No….it is your makeup? No…Oh I know now!!! Where’s Liz?” Idiots. They were just jealous.

Well, that's long enough for today. Thank you walking down memory lane with me. Maybe the next ten things won't be so long winded.

No comments: