Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Sigh....again.


Twenty seven years ago this morning at 11:00 a.m. John Matthew Scott made his entrance into the world. How could it be TWENTY SEVEN years ago????? I can still remember making that 36 mile drive from the hospital to our home -- absolutely scared to death. What was I going to do with a baby for goodness sake??? It's a wonder the poor child lived through our ignorant attempts at parenting. We were way too hard on him but he was loved to death. First grandchild on my side of the family and close enough that Grandpa and Grandma visits were frequent. Matt was the only one that really got to know a well Grandpa and he was the apple of his eye. Matt was so very good. I remember a close friend bursting my bubble (well, actually she insulted me and it was several years before I had to admit she was right). She said "Michelle, I need to tell you that Matt is really, really a great kid -- it's not because you are a great mother." I thought "Oh I'll show you." Then I had Tyler and Katie. Darn if Jackie wasn't right. Matt WAS a really good kid. Compliant, respectful, sweet and big hearted. He still is today. Someday I'm going to write a whole post about how proud I am of Matt the adult - but today I'm enjoying the memories of Matt the boy. He was and is as funny as can be and has made life so enjoyable. You are going to have a great time if you hang around him long. Because he was an only child for six years he was quite practiced at playing by himself and his imagination was great. One of my favorite memories was when he was about 3-1/2. We had taken the teen agers to a neighboring town for a Bible Bowl competition. When that was over they got up and announced they would have a Bible Bee for those who were too young to participate with the big kids. So they had all the kids under 4th grade come up. Naturally Matt was up to the front in a minute. He was a preacher's kid remember - he'd been taught the Bible stories all his life. One by one the kids were eliminated until only Matt and another kid about 2 or 3 years older than him were left. It was causing quite a stir in the audience - they were amazed at my boy. The question was asked and the other child didn't know the answer - it was Matt's turn. And it was one he wasn't sure about. He looked out at the audience until he found me and then he walked to the edge of the stage area and put his hand up to his mouth and whispered very loudly "What is it Mommy?" He brought down the house. He ended up winning and I still have his Bible Bee pin.


You've taught me so much my son. Courage, determination -- you've amazed and marveled me -- I've laughed hardest in my life when I've been with you. God blessed me above anything I could possibly have imagined that May 23, 1980. I love you, Matt.


(P.S. Who IS that holding my son???? )

No comments: