Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Oh my aching back.....

There isn't any phrase that brings my Dad's face to mind more than the title of this blog. That was his phrase for all occasions frustrating or maddening. Traffic, relationships, kids, church woes - whatever. They were all met with "Oh my aching back!" if they rose to the "just too much!" marker.

However, this is truly an aching back day. Twenty two boxes, five tiles in each box - that is how many tiles I laid this weekend. Did I forget to mention one important detail? They were 16 x 16 pieces of slate. Each tile weighs about five pounds I think. This morning I was so sore in places I obviously don't use on a regular basis that I could hardly walk w/o groaning. My back, stomach, butt, legs and arms are crying uncle. Tonight I have to grout all 110 tiles and tomorrow I have to seal all 110 tiles. If it weren't for the fact that I am beginning to see a faint light at the end of the tunnel I would be royally ticked off right about now.

I'm tired. Tired of the mess. Tired of the complaints from the put-upon children who are inconvenienced by it all. Tired of not cooking (who would have thought I'd say that?). Tired of filling my coffee pot in the bathroom sink. Tired of dust being everywhere and impossible to stay ahead of it. Tired of thinking about how much money this is costing.

If all goes well, Katie-bar-the-door, the cabinet installers should be at my house Thursday morning 9:00 a.m. The template for the countertop will be made on Friday a.m. and the appliances will be installed Saturday a.m. I don't know how long it takes to get the countertop done - I've forgotten. They'll install the countertop whenever it is made. My sink is an undermount so they'll take that with them when they go. But at least I'll have a dishwasher! I'll still have to tile the backsplash and I haven't picked out the light over my dining table or sink. We're getting there!

But I'm still sore. And sick of it all.

No comments: