Friday, July 13, 2007

It wasn't me

Being a grown up is a lot of work. It's also not necessarily all that fun. Ideally speaking, of course, you have had all these years to grow in wisdom, maturity, spirituality, and plain old sense. But doggone it, sometimes doing the wrong thing is just so much more fun. My particular failing is 'being smart-mouthed' as your parents might have called it. I prefer calling it "being funny". Generally, however, that sassiness comes at the expense of others -- it just feels good to make fun of someone else. For about 1 millionth of a second anyway. Then God reminds me ever so gently that nothing I am saying, thinking or doing fits into the whatsoever's. You know, the whatsoever is noble, whatsoever is right , whatsoever is pure....

It has me thinking about when Katie was little. I suppose most kids have imaginary friends at one time or another. Katie was most persistent with hers as well as most creative. Katie's friend was also her twin sister. She was the evil twin sister. How great was that? "Kaitlin Elizabeth! Look at this ______!!" "That wasn't me. It was my evil twin." I never did catch the evil twin in the act but she sure caused us a lot of mischief. One day we were driving down the road and and saw a rotting out-building in the pasture beside us. Out of the clear blue she said "there's where SHE lives". We got used to having that girl around until one day she was gone. I asked her where the evil twin was and she nonchalantly replied "Oh...(long pause)....She's dead."

You know that smart-alec email I just sent griping about a co-worker? That wasn't me. It was my evil twin.

No comments: