Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Talkin 'bout the rain


Time for my high school reunion. Ugh. Only the actual high school years themselves could be more angst-ridden. I had a great four years. I was, for the most part happy and constantly on the go. That's on the one hand. On the other, was the stress of constantly worrying about being "popular"...would he ask me out or not? What if I didn't have a date this weekend? Was this dress cute? There was that time I was afraid to go to my locker for days because a couple of girls did not want me around a certain guy. Never mind he was not dating, nor was he interested in dating either of them. The inevitable confrontation occurred. They strongly suggested I stay away from him. And I didn't. And that was that. Yes, indeed those were the days. I couldn't imagine a life where those relationships weren't center to my existence. And now here I am, ahem...(never you mind) how many years later and I have actually stayed in touch with maybe 5 people out of a class of 172. I wish I'd known then that I would never see some of those people again. I wish I'd had the maturity to know that it mattered less who sat beside me in English and more about who would sit beside me in eternity. The song HERE I GO AGAIN by Casting Crowns says it so well. How will they know if we don't tell them? It's a great song - you need to listen to it if you aren't familar with it but the thought is a prayer to God to give him the words as he talks to his friend who doesn't know the Lord and as he struggles for words he doesn't understand why he's so afraid to share the truth that will save his friend and yet "Here I go again, talkin 'bout the rain and mulling over things that won't live past today. And as I dance around the truth, time is not his friend. This might be my last chance to tell him that you love him, but here I go again...." (Actually, I urge you to run, don't walk, to the nearest place you can purchase CD's and purchase every Casting Crown CD you see. My favorite is Lifesong but the above song is on Casting Crowns and it's great too.)

(P.S...have you noticed that music is the way God speaks to me most often? And yes, the above picture is my high school. The octagon with the grey roof was an open-air hell hole, I mean, P.E. area. There were no, I mean NO windows....and oh yeah, Go Tigers!)

No comments: